Sunday, August 06, 2006

Olango: More than Birds


Photo from www.oneocean.org
Olango Island is admittedly one of the places closest to my heart. Located five kilometers east of Mactan Island, Olango prides itself of being a wildlife sanctuary. The island supports the largest concentration of migratory birds found so far in the country, and bird lovers can indulge themselves in watching varied species from February to April (Northward Migration) and then again from September to November (Southward Migration).

I came to love the island and its people when I was engaged by Monette Flores, from the Coastal Resource Management Project (CRMP), to help in polishing the marketing strategy for the Olango Birds and Seascape Tour that they designed. Monette said there was a small budget, and they may not be able to afford my services, but I was more than eager to be of assistance.

I worked with Stephanie, Sam and Imelda of the Suba-Olango Ecotourism Cooperative (SOEC). They are natives of the island and are actively involved in the project. Immediately, upon meeting them, I felt a kinship with them, and I was hooked! I could feel their dedication to the success of the project, and how can one not want to be involved in such a noble endeavor?

The Olango Birds and Seascape Tour is one of 10 "Highly Commended Honorees" of the Conservation International's 2000 Excellence in Ecotourism Awards and "Best Environmental Experience" Awardee of the 2001 British Airways Tourism for Tomorrow Awards.

I hope that on your next visit to Cebu, you will include in your itinerary a visit to Olango. Even if you are not a bird lover, the encounter with the locals, the barbecue meal prepared by them, or even the swimming around the marine sanctuary will definitely make the experience well worth it for you. Or probably just the thought that by taking the tour, you are helping save our seas!

Should you need any assistance, please feel free to write me.